Audrey MillsDirector of the Board and Principal
Audrey Mills is a director of our board and a principal in our commercial litigation team. She is one of Tasmania’s leading litigation lawyers.
Audrey’s practice is primarily in insurance, workplace relations and dispute resolution. She appears as counsel in the Federal Court, the Federal Circuit Court, the Supreme Court of Tasmania, the Fair Work Commission, the Anti-Discrimination Tribunal and the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Tribunal.
Audrey is trained in mediation. She regularly represents clients in mediation and conciliation conferences. She works with her clients to achieve their outcomes with a focus on dispute resolution.
Audrey is a past board member/director of TGIO Ltd, Australian National Railways Commission, Australian Women Lawyers Inc, Anglicare Tasmania Inc, Medical Board of Tasmania and the Tasmanian Law Society Council. Audrey currently chairs the Law Society's Employment and Equal Opportunity Committee. She is actively involved with a number of not-for-profit organisations.
Audrey’s recent experience includes:
- advising and representing a company in Supreme Court litigation for breach of contract and Trade Practices Act (now Australian Consumer Law) claims
- representing medical practitioners in Coronial Inquests and AHPRA matters
- successfully negotiating settlements of worker’s compensation and public liability claims
- resisting a claim for production of documents by relying on ‘without prejudice privilege’
- representing an employer at the Fair Work Commission and successfully defending union applications to terminate an Enterprise Agreement and alleged breaches of good faith bargaining
- drafting common law employment contracts and advising and representing employers on Enterprise Agreements
- successfully defending an organisation against a claim of discrimination in the Anti-Discrimination Commission
- negotiations and representation for a company director charged with a breach of the Work Health and Safety laws
- director, Dobson Mitchell & Allport Pty Ltd
- EEO Committee chair, Law Society of Tasmania
- EOL Committee member, Law Council of Australia
- Professional Standards Commission, member, Anglican Church of Australia
- Chancellor (Legal Advisor) to Bishop of Tasmania
- board member, Glenview Community Services Inc.
- member, AILA
- Law Society appointed member of Senior Practitioner List
- panel member, Anti-Discrimination Tribunal
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Commissioner
Recent Papers and Presentations:
- presenter – Stress Claims in the Workplace and the Crossover with Workers’ Compensation – Legalwise Seminars
- chair and presenter – Workplace Relations Conference – ‘Restraints of Trade – Are they still worthwhile?’ - Law Society of Tasmania
- chair and presenter – Employment Law Update – Current Issues and Trends in Employment Law – Law Society of Tasmania